People love sharing things but, you need to make it quick and easy. Adding social share buttons to PDFs is a great way to do this.
The video tutorial below will show you how simple this is using Adobe Acrobat Pro. There is also a free Cheat Sheet to download, which includes the step-by-step and the specific URLs you need for Twitter, Linkedin, Google+ and Facebook.
Why Should You Use Social Share Buttons?
I am sure I'm not alone in being a big fan of PDF downloads — as a consumer and creator. But, with the best intentions in the world, I am unlikely to tell Twitter about a great PDF I've just found unless I am reading it on my desktop, have time to go back to the site I found it on, find the download page, and tweet the message.
I mean well, but am usually too busy, or my middle-aged mind takes hold and I completely forget.
Now, if it was just a case of clicking on a social share button, that would make all the difference.
If you create and share PDFs on your website, why not consider making it that much easier for your readers to tell their friends and followers? Social share buttons can:
- extend your social reach;
- make it quick and easy for fans to share your work;
- show you which of your resources people enjoy enough to share; and
- allow you to identify who is sharing your content and thank them.
Video How To: Social Share Buttons on PDFs
This video will show you:
- how to open a PDF file in edit mode with Adobe Acrobat Pro;
- how to add a hyperlink to a graphic, text or area; and
- what URLs you need to use for links to Twitter, Google+, Linkedin, and Facebook.
The How To: Adding Social Share Buttons to PDFs
- Open your PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- On the Tools tab, select Edit.
- Select Link on the toolbar and choose Add/Edit Web or Document Link.
- Drag over the text/graphic/area you want to make into a link.
- Choose Open Web Page under Link Action and click Next.
- Paste in the hyperlink to the relevant social media site (see below).
- Click OK and Save your changes.
The Social Share Hyperlinks:
- TWITTER: http://twitter.com/home/?status= and then add your tweet, using a + sign in place of spaces, plus your twitter name and shortened target url.
- FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u= and then add your target url.
- LINKEDIN: http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url= and then add your target url.
- GOOGLE+: https://plus.google.com/share?url= and then add your target url.
Want to give it a try?
You can download the cheat sheet in pdf form (including social share buttons, of course) from the Resource Library. It includes the step-by-step and the specific hyperlinks you need for the four social networks.